WASH Sector Manager at Action Against Hunger
- Post Date:May 15, 2020
- Views 150
WASH Sector Manager at Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Sector Manager
Location: Damasak, Borno
Job type: Full Time
Department: Programmes – WASH
Start date: As Soon as Possible
Direct Line Manager: Project Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Monitor the implementation of integrated Action Against Hunger-USA WASH programs in Borno State:
- Ensure appropriate design, electrification, construction and implementation of WASH hardware according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipments.
- Implements, in the framework of projects, the mission’s WASH strategy taking into account the key internal and external documents: Action Against Hunger charter, 2015 strategic framework, policies (WASH and other Action Against Hunger sectors), positioning papers (WASH and transversal), national strategies and other specific legal framework enforced by the body/department in charge of WASH issues.
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training(CLTS, PHAST and CHAST).
- Ensure contractual activities are completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues relating to the management of the program, and inform the hierarchy accordingly.
- Ensure post-implementation monitoring of Action Against Hunger WASH structures.
- Plan and manage emergency responses; and priorities activities according to humanitarian needs including sustainability needs
Objective 2 – Analyze and develop reports on Action Against Hunger WASH activities in the North East:
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized.
- Analyze and report on the evolving humanitarian needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions.
- Carry out all needs assessments.
- Participate in the definition of the WASH strategy for Action Against Hunger as well as identification and design of potential new intervention areas
Objective 3 – Performance management and supervision of WASH project staff at field bases:
- Induction, follow up, evaluation, and promotion of positive team dynamics and motivation.
- Participate in the recruitment and training of WASH staff when required.
- Overseeing the work of WASH program staff in order to ensure good compliance of activities within the objectives of the mission and of proposals – this includes regular visits to the field sites in order to evaluate achievements; to discuss the constraints encountered, the possible solutions and to make recommendations for current and future programs.
- Evaluation of WASH program staff as per the defined schedule.
- Capacity building of WASH staff and mentoring of WASH program officers.
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes ; 10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
Objective 4 – Participate in external coordination within the WASH sector at the country and state level, as well as national level as required:
- Participate in WASH Coordination meeting held at LGA and state levels.
- Develop WASH contacts with other NGOs, agencies and technical bodies.
- Assess feasibility of Action Against Hunger technical support and guidance to partner agencies and relevant governmental bodies, specifically the RUWASA.
- Support capacity building of Action Against Hunger WASH partners in the area of intervention.
- Participate in emergency WASH interventions in Nigeria as required.
- Support WASH coordination efforts outside of Yobe as required
Objective 5 – Coordinate and collaborate with other departments:
- Collaborate and communicate with Technical and Support Coordinators, Program Managers, CD, and any other Action Against Hunger resource people in order to ensure the coherence of activities and reports in terms of Action Against Hunger WASH strategy.
- Informing/updating the Field Co and CD on WASH program implementation and any issues on a regular basis.
- Participation in weekly base team meetings and any other general team or strategy meetings.
- Follow up of WASH program budgets in liaison with the Admin coordinator and program managers, to ensure budget expenditure is in line with program objectives and timeline.
- Follow up of logistics requirements for WASH programs in liaison with the Head of Base.
- Participation in the overall mission and program strategy, narrative and financial project proposals and reporting, in collaboration with Log/Finance/CD and other program coordinators as necessary.
Objective 6 – Report and track the progress of WASH project activities:
- Develop meeting reports or training or training to share with program managers, coordination team as necessary.
- Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators.
- Monthly Action Against Hunger WASH report to be sent to FieldCo (line manager) and copied to CD – which includes an overview of the WASH situation, external coordination update, achievements for the past month and objectives for the following month.
- Preparing inputs for the mission weekly and monthly sitrep.
- Draft contractual donor reports.
- Prepare handover report as necessary to replacement.
- Engineering Degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent / higher) in a field related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Additional training courses specific to WASH in development contexts (such as Bioforce Institute graduates), and/or Program Management professional certifications, strongly preferred.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience, in WASH management/supervisory capacity.
- Strong computer literacy, organizational and planning skills, report writing, budget oversight.
- Commitment to upholding Action Against Hunger’s values, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in the INGO / NGO and humanitarian context.
- Experience managing a team.
Minimum Basic Salary
NGN 308,589 per month
Application Closing Date
Monday, 25th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Need assistance writing your CV? See this now or contact us for a free review today!
Don’t keep this, share with someone that need it!