Senior IT Assistant at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior IT Assistant
Job ID: 23166
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
- Technical guidance and instructions are received from the IT unit at HQ. As the post is of a technical nature indirect supervision is exercised by the Head of Office. The incumbent will also refer to technical manuals and policy papers.
- Regular contacts with staff in the office and in other offices within the country of assignment. Contacts also with the Regional IT Officer and with the Field Office Support Team in HQ on matters related to the LAN/E-mail system.
- Regular contacts with UNHCR’s implementing partners, including the government counterparts, to provide assistance on matters related to information technology
- The incumbent makes recommendations on software and hardware needs in the office. A breakdown of the IT system in the office will have a direct negative impact on the overall operation and may compromise the efficiency, security and safety of the operation as well as the staff.
- Assist the office in setting standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information Technology.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
- Ensure that information problem recovery is done as quickly as possible by making regular system back-ups
- Assist with the installation of software packages, basic repair/maintenance of all computer hardware in the office and where required implementing partners.
- Train UNHCR staff on email operation system
- Add or remove users from the Network
- Maintain the inventory of IT equipment
- Perform other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience
- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher with certificate / training in Information Technology.
- Technical knowledge of information technology
- Certificate in LAN operation.
- Communication skills.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Technological Awareness
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local language is highly recommended.
Application Closing Date
11:59 pm 23rd November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).