The World Food Programme is the food assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security. WFP is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded. Born in 1961, WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. We work towards that vision with our sister UN agencies in Rome — the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) — as well as other government, UN and NGO partners. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 82 countries each year. 11,367 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor. To learn more, watch the video outlining our mission, read our Mission Statement and our 2013 Annual Performance Report or download the Infographic.
Job Title: IT (Telecoms) Operations Associate G6
Requisition: # 122873
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Fixed Term
Experience Type- Middle Level
- Location: The position is based in Maiduguri but travels to the ETS operational areas (Damaturu, Gwoza, Ngala, Dikwa, Monguno, Bama, Banki, Rann and other locations) will be required.
- Supervision received: Under the general supervision of the ETS Coordinator and direct supervision the ETS Senior Telecoms Specialist or the designate.
- To coordinate and guide Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Assist in the deployment of telecommunications systems aligned with ETS objectives for the operation in NE Nigeria;
- Assist ensuring optimal radio network operations, through the implementation of UN standard operating procedures;
- Assist in ensuring appropriate security telecommunications support to humanitarian staff;
- Assist assessing, installing, commissioning, configuring, maintaining and troubleshooting VSAT stations;
- Assist in monitoring, troubleshooting HF/VHF network and performing related tasks and actions aiming at ensuring a good HF/VHF coverage;
- Train staff on radio communications procedures including related Country Minimum Operating Security Standards (CMOSS) requirements and use of HF/VHF and other equipment such as Iridium PTT, satellite phones;
- Report any technical problems immediately to the ETS Senior Telecoms Specialist or the ETS Coordinator for prompt and on the spot troubleshooting;
- Provide feedback to the ETS Senior Telecoms Specialist on potential improvements in security telecommunications systems;
- Assist in the deployment/dissemination of standard material, such as handheld radios, Iridium PTT devices, and wireless access point/links;
- Assist in the maintenance of systems and equipment by carrying out routine tasks, such as backing up data, monitoring network, and systems, servers, and peripherals running systems diagnostics, patch management, and system optimization, removing viruses and bad data, etc.;
- Assist in performing routine maintenance on power equipment, generators, UPS, radio transceivers, solar photovoltaics, batteries, inverters;
- Implement improvements to methods and processes within the IT division to support the continuous improvement of IT/Telecom’s services provided.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
- Governance, Strategy and Architecture: Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems.
- Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization: Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.
- Technical Expertise: Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.
- Service Management: Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.
- Client Management: Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.
- Procurement and Contract Management: Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.
Minimum years of experience -6
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of Secondary School Education. A Post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
- Experience: 6 or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream (i.e Telecommunications, IT Operations) with experience in general administrative work
- Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
- General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Familiarities, Results Expected and Critical Success Factors
- Be familiar with other technologies and activities “include but are not limited to”: WiMax, tower climbing, work at height, tower and electrical safety, cable and electrical equipment testers, HF/VHF and satellite coverage analysis, Mototola/Codan VHF/HF analogue and digital 2-way radio communications technology, GPS Tracking system.
- Produces organised, accurate and well-documented records conforming to required format with well-analysed data.
Critical Success Factors:
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust data discrepancies.
- Identify and resolve operational problems.
- Ability to communicate moderately complex matters clearly and concisely.
- Ability to perform detailed work, work of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Has experience analysing service management results and development service enhancement recommendations.
- Has participated in business process re-engineering efforts and identified service management improvements.
- Has experience participating in country office procurement/budgeting process.
26th June, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: Apply With This Link
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national (or residents with valid residence and work permits) are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.