Graduate Trainee Cover Letter Example
A graduate trainee is a fresh graduate that is transitioning into the workplace.To secure a position, your graduate trainee cover letter should achieve one purpose; which is, proving that you are a valuable candidate. Hence, this graduate trainee cover letter example will not only show you how to write a good cover letter, but, it’ll answer other key questions about graduate trainee positions, so that you’ll have a good knowledge of the portfolio that you’re about to fill.
Who Can Apply for a Graduate Trainee Position?
Any graduate can apply for a graduate trainee position, provided they qualify (degree) in the same or related industry.
Nevertheless, it’s best to apply for a graduate trainee position in an industry that you wish to pursue a career in.
Requirements of Graduate Trainee
- Degree in the same or related field.
- Previous work experience is not necessary, but may be advantageous.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent research abilities and a willingness to grow.
- A positive attitude and a growth mindset.
Duties/Responsibilities of Graduate Trainee
- Gathering as much information on the company and participating in on-the-job training wherever possible.
- Participating in meetings, workshops, and team-building events.
- Taking notes on experiences and keeping a log of things learned.
- Compiling reports and making presentations to other staff members.
- Analysing existing systems and offering new ideas for improvement.
- Bringing positive energy into the company, and forming lasting professional relationships with staff.
- Conducting research and assisting the Manager or Supervisor wherever possible.
- Completing fieldwork or visiting different work sites when required.
- Upholding the good name of the company at all times.
- Writing a test or submitting to some other form of evaluation at the end of the graduate program.
Graduate Trainee Cover Letter Example
17 January, 2012
Mr. Richard Okiasi
Alan & Grant Plc.
Phone: XX XXXX XXXX
Dear Mr. Richard,
RE: Application for Graduate Trainee Position
As a young and motivated individual, I am extremely interested in applying for the advertised Graduate Trainee Position with Alan & Grant Plc.
In November 2011, I completed my undergraduate studies and obtained a degree in Business Administration. This has given me a range of practical capabilities that will meet the needs of this role.
While rounding up my undergraduate studies, I worked part-time as a Customer Service Assistant for Shoprite. My responsibilities in this role included providing face-to-face customer service and assisting on the floor with stock movements and visual merchandising. This position has given me key employability skills while also allowing me to have an experience of working in a professional and fast-paced work environment.
About my ability to meet the specific requirements of this job:
- Customer Service: Worked part-time for a year in a face-to-face customer service environment, providing customer service at registers, lay-by counter, and on the retail floor.
- Reception duties: Responsibilities at Shoprite included answering incoming phone calls and assisting customers with phone-based enquiries.
- General Administration: Certificate in Business Administration has provided training in the use of skills, which include filing, data processing, records management and written communication.
My teachers and employers have commended me for my high level of interpersonal skills and naturally engaging personality. My motivations include, learning new things and the challenge of meeting key objectives. My current and previous managers can be contacted to provide more information about my ability to meet the needs of this job.
I understand that you will receive a large number of applications for this role. I do, however, believe that my motivation, commitment and pre-existing skills will allow me to fit into your work environment and immediately start supporting the needs of your organisation.
I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my application at an interview. I have enclosed a copy of my resume for your consideration. I can be contacted at all times on the details provided above.
Thanking you in advance for your time,
Most Sought After Skills for Graduate Trainee Position
Naturally, the skills that employers look for in a graduate trainee, varies from industry to industry and from job to job. However, there are skills that employers value across the board.
The core soft skills that employers look for in a graduate trainee include:
- Literacy and numeracy
- Time management and organisation
- Oral and written communication
- Creativity and problem solving
- Initiative and enterprise
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Ability to apply discipline, knowledge and concepts
- Information gathering, evaluation and synthesis
- Emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills
Hard skills that employers look for in a graduate trainee include:
- Specialised maths knowledge: A working knowledge of calculus, statistics and probability are required for a career as an actuary.
- Good business sense: Accounting and economics.
- Strong computer skills: Formulating spreadsheets, statistical analysis programs, database manipulation, programming, etc.
Note: Employers don’t expect you to have all these skills, and you will learn many more on the job. But of course, any special knowledge that you’ve acquired through your degree, industrial training and short works will be an added advantage.
Let us know if you have any questions about this Graduate Trainee cover letter example. Good luck with writing your cover letter!